Mulberries are delicious and nutritious berries that are enjoyed by people all over the world. Mulberries are produced from Morus Alba Tree. It is a naturally sweet fruit that looks quite similar to blackberry and tastes like grapefruit. Mulberry grows on trees and is cultivated in warm regions of Asia, Africa and America. There are several varieties of Mulberries which include red, black and blue versions of the fruit. Mulberry fruit is usually eaten in a dried form. It is a versatile fruit and can be easily integrated in various recipes.
The leaves of mulberry tree contains nutrients that are used as a food for silkworms and grows in bunches called “drupes”. It is also used for different medicinal properties, such as hair loss remedy, as anti-inflammatory and as an anti-biotic.
Read below to know more on mulberry benefits:
- Mulberry is a powerhouse of nutrients and is an excellent source of protein. 3 ounces of mulberry has 9 grams of protein.
- Mulberry is a huge source of iron, calcium, Vitamin A, C, E and K, Folate, thiamine, Pyridoxine, Niacin and fiber.
- The antioxidants found in mulberry repairs free radicals. Resveratrol, an antioxidant, is found plentiful in mulberries. It helps to promote heart health and overall vitality.
- Mulberry is also rich polynutrients like anthocyanin, flavonoids, lutein, zea-xanthin, B carotene and A carotene.
Mulberry fruit Health benefits:Mulberry is considered an important remedy in Chinese medicines. The health benefits of mulberry can be derived from its juice which is full of Vitamins, Minerals and anti-oxidants.
1. Cures Certains Diseases:The rich anthocyanin that is found in the fruits has curative properties for certain diseases and is also used as natural food colorant.
2. Prevents Cancers:Mulberries are a good source of resveratrol, a potent phytonutrient that researchers believe to prevent cancer. It contains high level of anti-oxidants which stunts the growth of prostrate cells and tumour growth.
3. Reduces Risk Of Blood Clots And Strokes:Mulberries are known to improve blood circulation and are beneficial as an anti-inflammatory that helps to lower the blood pressure and makes you less susceptible to blood clots and strokes. Mulberry juice may help to alleviate some of the symptoms if you suffer from anaemia. In addition to all, these help to prevent heart diseases.
4. Cleanses Blood:n Chinese medicine, mulberries are considered as a blood tonic. They cleanse the blood, improving its circulation and helps in strengthening the entire system. It enriches the blood in the process while soothing and calming the nerves. It also helps in promoting the metabolism of alcohol.
5. Cleanses Liver And Strengthens Kidney:Mulberries are noted to strengthen Kidneys and cleanse the liver.
6. Prevents Flu And Cold:Mulberry is high in Vitamin C and flavonoids which makes it a natural immune booster and prevents flu, cough and cold and other ailments. Mulberry also helps with gastritis problem and chronic hepatitis.
[ Read: Top Health Benefits Of Grapes ]
7. Speeds Up Recovery:
Mulberry juice is extremely beneficial for post-operative patients. It accelerates healing, improves blood circulation and prevents the onset of infection. It is often used to speed up recovery after birth and is used as an inflammatory solution after surgery.
8. Controls Blood Sugar:Mulberries contain compounds that support balanced sugar and control blood sugar in diabetic patients. Flavonoid present in mulberries prevents the rise and fall of sugar level in patients. So it is highly effective to prevent complication in diabetic patients due to sugar level spike.
9. Maintains Heart Health:Eating mulberries proves beneficial to the heart’s health. It strengthens the nervous system and reduces bad cholesterol thus preventing the blockage in flow of blood. So it is highly effective in preventing heart attacks and strokes.
10. Controls Cholesterol:Eating mulberry on regular basis will keep the cholesterol level within limits.
11. Enhances Appetite:Regular consumption of mulberry improves the digestive system, enhancing the appetite level.
12. Enhances Immunity:Mulberry can balance internal secretion and enhance the immunity. It promotes proper body fluid production. It also helps people who suffer from dehydration. People suffering from body fluid deficiency should take ten milligrams of mulberry daily.
13. Improves Vision:Drinking a glass of mulberry juice also improves vision. It has a high content of Vitamin A which strengthens our eye sight and relieves eye strain, which is ideal for people who spend hours on computer. It also protects eyes from free radicals which is the cause of eye sight loss and retina degeneration.
[ Read: Amazing Health Benefits Of Pears ]
Mulberry: Skin Benefits
14. Anti-Ageing Properties:Mulberries, like other berries, are rich in anti-oxidants which are renowned as effective anti-aging agents.
15. Clears Skin:It has properties that help in clearing out dark spots and other blemishes on the facial skin.
16. Rejuvenates Skin:The process of melanin synthesis is regulated effectively, allowing you to get the clear and bright skin that you have always wanted. Experts recommend eating the fruit or drinking mulberry tea and juice to rejuvenate your skin.
17. Treats Skin Problems:The leaves of its tree can be left in a hot pot of water for 30 minutes or so to treat skin problems as well as colds, sore throat, fever, etc.
18. Treats Dry And Sensitive Skin:
19. Makes Skin Soft And Radiant:You can also find bath salts and soaps made of mulberry to make your skin soft and radiant. The leaves can be used in saunas and hot baths to help open up your pores as well as detoxify your body. The steam that contains infused mulberry leaves allows your body to sweat and regulates your body’s metabolism as well.
Mulberry: Hair Benefits
21. Promotes Hair Growth:If you suffer from hair loss, mulberry extracts are a safe and natural alternative to getting chemical or surgical treatments. You can apply the juice onto your hair to promote its growth.
22. Retains Hair’s Natural Colour:The production of melanin in your hair is enhanced by mulberries. This allows you to retain your hair’s natural colour. This is great news, especially for people who suffer from premature greying of the hair. Drinking mulberry juice on a regular basis can benefit you if you wish to have healthy hair, whether it is greying or not.
How to select and store mulberries:Mature white and red mulberries can be found during the later part of spring or during the early stage of the summer season. Black mulberries mature only at the end of summer. Once the berries are ripe, it is best to harvest them as it is well-known that birds will get to them quickly. If you are buying them from a store, you should make sure that they are plump and have a rich colour. Unless you are getting white mulberries, make it a point to avoid mulberries that are pale in colour as this shows that they have not ripened yet.
If you have a mulberry tree, it is not a hard task to harvest the fruits. All you need is a tarp to cover the ground under its branches and shake them to make the berries fall on the tarp. If it is time for the fruits to mature, you will need to repeat the process every alternate day.
Once you have collected the berries, put them into baskets. Remember not to make the baskets too full as the ones at the bottom will get crushed, ruining them. The next step is to store them in containers that are airtight. You can wash the berries before storing them or wash them before you use them. These fruits can be stored in your refrigerator for about 3 days. If freezing them after harvest is better for you, you can wash and dry them gently by patting them with a soft cloth or tissue and store them in a sealed bag. You can leave mulberries in your freezer for about 3 months.
Tips for usage:As mentioned earlier, mulberries and their leaves can be used to make teas and other beverages. Apart from this, they make great fillings for pies as well as a wide range of delicious desserts. Of all the berries that exist, mulberries have the highest content of anti-oxidants, making them healthy no matter how you prepare them. Mulberry smoothies taste sumptuous. You can add them to your daily diet to make sure that your cholesterol levels stay stable. It will also ensure that your body gets all the vital nutrients that it requires to stay healthy and strong.
Eating mulberries can help prevent many diseases that affect the liver, kidneys as well as lungs. Experts recommend drinking a glass of fresh mulberry juice on a daily basis to detoxify your body. There are many different ways that you can use this berry in your diet. The fruit and leaves have beneficial properties that you can use to promote overall health.
If you are looking for a natural way to cleanse your body, get glowing skin and strong healthy hair, mulberries are the best choice. Every part of your body benefits from this amazing berry, so it is definitely a must to add it to your diet!
Mulberries Nutrient Chart: (USDA)
Value per 100.0g
1 cup 140g
10 fruit 15g
|Total lipid (fat)||g||0.39||0.55||0.06|
|Carbohydrate, by difference||g||9.80||13.72||1.47|
|Fiber, total dietary||g||1.7||2.4||0.3|
|Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid||mg||36.4||51.0||5.5|
|Vitamin A, RAE||µg||1||1||0|
|Vitamin A, IU||IU||25||35||4|
|Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)||mg||0.87||1.22||0.13|
|Vitamin D (D2 + D3)||µg||0.0||0.0||0.0|
|Vitamin K (phylloquinone)||µg||7.8||10.9||1.2|
|Fatty acids, total saturated||g||0.027||0.038||0.004|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated||g||0.041||0.057||0.006|
|Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated||g||0.207||0.290||0.031|